How far do airpods reach when they are connected to your iPhone ? A lot of us have this question in mind. After all, airpods are amazing when it comes to sound quality and are extremely durable.
Practically the range of airpods is 30 to 60 feet which is around 10 to 18 meters.
Airpods are a bluetooth device and the class of a bluetooth device determines the wireless range of the device. The 2nd generation of airpods pro was released by Apple on 23rd September 2022. It has a new H2 chip with Bluetooth 5.3 connectivity.
The are two types of ranges associated when it comes to Airpods
1) Optimal Range: – This is the maximum possible practical distance between your airpods and the bluetooth device like iPhone/iPad wherein you can talk with any disturbance or reduction in sound quality.
2) Maximum Range: – This is the maximum distance beyond optimal range where your airpods are connected with the bluetooth device for communication but there will be intermittent voice cuts and disturbance due to lack of bluetooth signal strength.
An apple AirPod pro is a class 1 bluetooth device which is equipped with Bluetooth 5.3 technology.
The range of a class 1 device depends on the version of bluetooth. Refer the table below:-
BT 3 – 10 Meters ( 33 feet)
BT 4 – 60 Meters ( 200 feet)
BT 5 – 240 meters (800 feet)
Now these are theoretical values. Practically airpods PRO wouldn’t have a range of 800 feet due to environmental disturbances and signal interruptions.
Comparison Between Different Bluetooth Versions
|Specification||Bluetooth 1.0||Bluetooth 2.0||Bluetooth 3.0||Bluetooth 4.0||Bluetooth 5.0|
|Range||Upto 10m (33 ft)||Upto 30m (100 ft)||Upto 30m (100 ft)||Upto 60m (200 ft)||Upto 240m (800 ft)|
|Basic Rate (BR)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|High Speed (HS)||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Low Energy (LE)||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Slot Availability Masking (SAM)||No||No||No||No||Yes|
Does Bluetooth Range Affect The Quality Of Sound From Airpods?
Yes it does. Mainly it depends on the version of bluetooth technology being used with your airpods pro as the range supported is different as we showed above.
All bluetooth devices generally convert audio codecs for low resolution within the airpods range.
If you look at the specifications of the airpods pro this is achieved through custom high dynamic range amplifier.
The bandwidth allotted depends on the class of bluetooth technology used in your airpods.
Airpods equipped with Bluetooth 4.3, the max bandwidth can go up to 1 Mbps. All airpods equipped with Bluetooth 5.0 and above the bandwidth range is up to 2 Mbps.
Like all bluetooth devices which stream audio, airpods also support A2DP ( 2 Advanced Audio Distribution Profiles) with audio codecs having AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) and SBC (Sub Band Coding)
The PRO version of the airpods use both the audio codecs. When the airpods are closer to the bluetooth device like your iPhone then AAC is used and when you move away from the device then it switches to SBC to enhance the audio signal for superior sound quality.
Different Scenarios When Your Airpods Connection To Phone Is Affected
- Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of the iOS installed.
iOS version click here
iPAD version click here
- Put your airpods back into the charging case and ensure that both of them are charging. Low battery does affect sound quality.
- Ensure bluetooth is ON. To check this, go to settings → Bluetooth. Or from the right side just slide your finger from top and on the top left you see a bluetooth icon to turn it on.
- Even if your airpods are connected, ensure that they are selected as the audio device.
- Update the firmware of your airpods. To do this make sure that they are connected to the iPhone and within close proximity. They will get auto updated whenever Apple releases any new firmware update.
- Try turning off active noise cancellation (ANC). Now this may seem counterintuitive at first but ANC reduces sound quality.
- Take the Ear Tip Fit Test. The best sound quality and good sound cancellation also depends on how the silicon ear tips fit into your ear. They come in small, medium and large sizes to suit all ear types.
Which one suits you the best, can be decided by taking the Ear Tip Fit Test. Once your earpods are connected to your iPhone/iPAD, go to settings and click on them on top. Scroll down and click on Ear Tip Fit Test. Make sure, your airpods are in your ears when you perform this test.
- Adjust Equalizer Settings On Your Airpods. A lot of pro users ask, “What is the best EQ for airpods?” What does EQ even mean, you may ask? EQ means equalizer settings which control the output coming out of the airpods. You can control them via the volume knobs.
There is nothing like what is the best setting for EQ on airpods as it depends on personal preference and you may adjust as per your individual liking. To change the EQ settings follow the steps below.
1) Go to settings
2) Tap on Accessibility,
3) Then click on Audio/Visual and tap on Headphone Accomodations on top and toggle the bar and check the airpods sound quality when you’re on call with each setting. Choose what you prefer the best.
- Changing Spatial Audio Settings: Apple’s spatial audio is a 360 degree sound format which recreates the sound effect when it comes to listening to music specially. May not be very useful when on calls. To edit or disable spatial audio, swipe down from top right from the home screen to open the control center. Long press the audio bar and it will open the airpods pro icon. Toggle the spatial audio or spatialized zero buttons.
So now we know practically how far do airpods reach. Just compare the bluetooth version of your airpods version and test out with various settings which we have mentioned above and you will have a seamless voice quality experience while on calls or listening to music.
Practical range would also depend on your location too while you’re using your airpods. In a location like an office where you have lots of bluetooth devices connected and other smart devices interference, the range may not be beyond 10 feet.
On the other hand, at home you may get amazing voice quality even at 30 feet distance.