How To Pair Xbox One Controller To Android, Touch controls aren’t always good for mobile gaming. They may be implemented poorly or your device may not handle multitouch well. Luckily, you can play Android phone games with a controller instead.
You can connect a wired controller to an Android phone or tablet via USB. You can also connect a wireless controller via Bluetooth – Xbox One, PS4, PS5, or Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers work with all Android devices. After pairing, you can also cast your screen to Android TV for a bigger screen experience.
Learn how to connect a game controller to an Android mobile device and which controllers work with Android smartphones and tablets.
Steps to connect the Xbox One controller to Android
Turn on your Xbox One controller, then press the pairing button to put the controller in pairing mode. When the Xbox button starts flashing, the device is in pairing mode. Also, make sure you’re using an Xbox controller with built-in Bluetooth functionality. This includes all Xbox controller models released for the Xbox One S or higher.
- On your Android device’s home screen, swipe up to display the Applications screen, then tap Settings. The Settings screen is displayed.
- Tap on “Connection”. The connection screen is displayed.
- Tap on “Bluetooth”. The Bluetooth screen will open.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on. A list of Bluetooth devices found near your Android device will be displayed. You should finally see Xbox Wireless Controller fill out this list. If you don’t see it after a few minutes, move your Xbox One controller closer to your Android device and try again.
- Tap Xbox Wireless Controller. Just before the Bluetooth pairing request dialog box appears on the screen, a pairing message appears briefly asking if you want to pair with an Xbox wireless controller. Tap OK. You will now see the Xbox Wireless Controller in the list of devices that are paired with your Android device.
You can now use your Xbox One wireless controller to run controller-supported Android apps like Fortnite, Call of Duty, GTA, Doom, and more.
How can I make sure my Xbox controller has Bluetooth turned on?
For those who want to use their existing controllers, the easiest way to check is by looking at the controller. If the area around the Xbox button is the same piece of plastic as the rest of the controller, it has Bluetooth.
On the other hand, if your Xbox button is submerged in a separate piece of plastic, it won’t have Bluetooth. See the picture below if you need help. If your controller supports Bluetooth it should look like the picture below.
If you already own the controller, your best bet is to give it a try. If you don’t have one, look for your particular phone to see if others have been successful because you don’t want to lose money on something that doesn’t work.
Here’s how to use an Xbox One controller with your Android device
First, make sure your Xbox One controller has Bluetooth capabilities.
Xbox One controllers with Bluetooth have plastic around the Xbox button that matches the color of the rest of the controller. A non-Bluetooth controller has a different colored plastic. You need one with Bluetooth to pair with your Android device.
Next, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
1. Open the Settings app on your Android mobile device. If you can’t find it, swipe up from the home screen and search in the apps menu until you find “Settings,” a gear-like icon.
2. Tap Connections.
3. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your Android device. If Bluetooth isn’t already on, tap the white slider next to “Bluetooth” to make it white and blue.
Now we need to prepare the controller.
4. Press and hold the Xbox button on your Xbox One controller to turn on the controller.
5. Find the Sync button on the Xbox One controller. The button is located on the top of the controller between the L1 and R1 buttons and is indicated by three curved lines next to it.
6. Press and hold the sync button. When the Xbox One controller light starts blinking, release the sync button.
Once your phone and controller are ready, we can connect them.
7. Open the Bluetooth app on your Android device. This can be done quickly by swiping down at the top of the screen to open your quick access menu, then tap and hold the Bluetooth button.
8. At this point you should be able to see your Xbox One controller in your list of Bluetooth pairable devices. If your Xbox One controller still doesn’t appear in the list, tap Scan on your Android device. Once your Xbox One controller appears in the list, tap it to begin the pairing process.
9. Once your Android device has successfully paired with your Xbox One controller, your controller will appear in the list of paired devices and the controller LED will stop flashing.
Just remember that if you want to use your Xbox One controller with your Xbox One again, you’ll need to pair your controller with your Xbox One again. If you need a refresher on how to do this, see our article, “How to Connect an Xbox One Controller to Your Xbox One Console, With or Without a USB Cable”.
Connect Wired Xbox Controller to Android
If you’re using an Xbox Series S/X controller or an Elite Series 2 controller, you’re in luck! These controllers come with a USB-C cable that allows you to connect your controller directly to most modern Android devices, which can be useful if you want to temporarily connect them to your phone manually. . . without wanting to connect. . and reconnect them. Your main PC or console.
For Xbox wired controllers dating back as far as the Xbox 360, the first step is to confirm which version of the USB charging port is being used on your phone or tablet. For example, if you have a micro USB port on your phone or tablet, consider purchasing a USB On The Go (OTG) adapter to use a wired Xbox 360 controller with the device.